On January 5, 2010 HM penned a blog entitled High Noon for Obama. Posted shortly after the underwear bombing fiasco, we noted that the time had come for Sheriff Obama to put politics aside, take the blanks out of his six shooter, step into the dusty street, and show all Americans that he really cared about their security. We also noted, that if he failed, there would likely be a new sheriff come 2012. Well, it appears as if President Obama has chosen not to heed HM’s sage advice because…well…he doesn’t have any idea that we even exist….but that is still no excuse for his inaction on the home front. Having learned nothing from the great underwear debacle, he still prattles on about trials in New York City, continues to let Holder pontificate on Miranda Rights, insists on closing Guantanamo, focuses on prosecuting CIA agents, and does nothing to secure one of the most porous borders in the free world. All told, it appears as if Sheriff Obama has loaded his six gun, stepped into the street, and emptied the cylinder into his foot.
The good news for Obama is that Lady Luck is not a quitter and, with the Times Square incident, she has given our shaky sheriff yet another opportunity to show us what he is made of. We must not forget that, once again, this attack on the American People failed solely because the bomb did not detonate. Nothing any agency did (or did not do) stopped the plot from playing out. So, it is more critical than ever for our sheriff to show all would-be terrorists that he is in the street waiting. The reason for this urgency is quite simple. Right now, the message that every aspiring bomber is taking away from the Times Square attack is:
“Terrorist be warned, you only have one chance to blow us up, so get your bomb right the first time!”
Instead of deciding that such attacks will be fruitless and rethinking their strategy, terrorists around the world are improving their detonators, rewriting their training courses, and making sure that their operatives know what type of fertilizer to buy. They know from watching the Underwear Bomber and the Times Square Bomber that if they get the bomb right – they are home free. And the sad fact is, the only person that can stick a cactus in the middle of their trail is our reluctant sheriff. So, in our never ending effort to be proactive, HM has decided to help our derelict defender out one more time with a simple 10 point plan for protecting his town folk.
A Contract on Terror
1. Be intellectually honest with the American People and call Illegal Immigrants what they are – ILLEGAL. When our sheriff refuses to use this word, he sends a message to the bad guys that he really ‘condones’ their actions. This encourages more illegals to cross over and fuels their sense of entitlement. By not calling them what they are – Illegal Immigrants – Obama is weakening our laws and putting America and its institutions at risk. This is not only immoral and opportunistic, it is unconstitutional. Abraham Lincoln himself noted:
Let reverence for the laws, be breathed by every American mother, to the lisping babe, that prattles on her lap — let it be taught in schools, in seminaries, and in colleges; let it be written in Primers, spelling books, and in Almanacs; — let it be preached from the pulpit, proclaimed in legislative halls, and enforced in courts of justice. And, in short, let it become the political religion of the nation; and let the old and the young, the rich and the poor, the grave and the gay, of all sexes and tongues, and colors and conditions, sacrifice unceasingly upon its altars.
–January 27, 1838
We are a nation of laws, and if we start letting political expediency decide which ones we will enforce, we have destroyed our very foundation.
2. Immediately allocate unspent ‘stimulus dollars’ to complete the border fence between the US and Mexico. Border Patrol and ICE officers regularly find Korans and prayer blankets in the desert. To my recollection, the Catholic Church requires neither of these for Mass. Islamic extremists are using the drug cartels and Mexican gangs to sneak across our border and infiltrate our cities. This is a known fact in law enforcement, and has been for several years. By not completing the fence our government is telling us that, when it comes to their constitutional duty to provide for our common defense, they simply do not care. The sad fact is that one day another terrorist will be successful, and I would not want to be the sitting president when it is discovered that they had crossed the Mexican border to conduct their attack.
3. Take unreasonable restrictions off of the fine men and women of the US Border Patrol. Give them, the tools and rules that they need to properly defend our borders against thugs, drug runners, and sub-humans that shoot innocent American ranchers. We have put them into the field with both hands tied behind their backs. As it stands today, they are out manned and out gunned.
4. Cease all inbound flights from countries that do not meet minimum acceptable airport security standards. On a recent trip to Kuwait I went through three security check points, setting off the metal detectors at each one. The ‘security’ guards at each gate just waved me through, barely looking up from their magazines. This type of ambivalence is a problem around the world, and nations that do not crack down should be barred from having direct air routes to US cities.
5. Institute the automatic death penalty for anyone convicted of terrorism against the United States of America. Make no exceptions for any reason…citizen or foreign national. This will not dissuade those already brainwashed into martyrdom, but will send a powerful message to all the wannabe’s out there that, if they do not kill themselves, we will help them finish the job.
6. Send a clear message to our adversaries that, if they sponsor terror on American soil, we will consider it a declaration of war. Obama must also immediately retract his statements on the use of nuclear weapons, especially in response to biological attacks. The fact that he made this statement in the first place is troubling. A well placed nuke could kill a few hundred thousand folks, maybe more. Nuclear devastation, however, would pale in the face of a well coordinated state sponsored biological attack. Such an attack could kill a third (100,000,000) of all Americans. To say that we would not use a nuke to retaliate against such an attack on our people is quite frankly…stupid.
7. Have industry develop a low cost system for scanning 100% of all air cargo transported on passenger airlines. Today, even with the terrorist threat, the vast majority of all air cargo transported on US passenger airlines goes unchecked. There is no excuse for this gap in security. Each day that we let our airlines leave the ground full of unchecked cargo, we are gambling with American lives. This is unacceptable and must be stopped.
8. Partner with industry to develop a process for screening 100% of all cargo entering US shipping ports. Though a small percentage of these containers are randomly screened, we largely rely on importers to tell us what they are shipping. The Government Accountability Office reported in December that only about 5% of all inbound shipping containers are scanned at major US ports of entry. Critics say that such a solution will be far too expensive. When I hear this argument I have to wonder what the price of a nuke going of in the Port of Los Angeles would be? This must be fixed.
9. Appoint a new Director of Homeland Security. We need a hawk in this position, who places security over political correctness. Ms. Napolitano continues to demonstrate that she is not that person. If you think I am being overly harsh here, let me remind you of three little words:
“The system worked…”
10. Lose the cowboy hat. It makes you look more like a member of the Village People than a sheriff, and it’s only scaring Broke Back Mountain fans.
There you have it Sheriff! Follow these very clear steps and you will establish yourself as the Wyatt Earp of anti-terrorism. Heck fire, just pick 5 of them and you will have done better, in many respects, than George Bush! That should spin yer spurs! Not only will history label you as the “Homeland Security President,” but you will also be able to hold your head high knowing you have met your constitutional obligations. This is it Sheriff Obama; you have been handed a second chance! Get out in that street and show ’em all that we have a real sheriff running this town. The bad guys are over in Pakistan right now improving their bomb designs, and even Lady Luck runs out of aces sooner or later.
This was a very hard piece to write. Usually I feel better once it is published. This one left me far more frustrated than when I started it. These are grave times for our nation.
They are grave times.
On SOOOO many different levels. 9.9% unemployment is grand news, Lawrence Summers is now telling us to prep ourselves for Eurosocialist unemployment levels (10-12% permanent) and on the cultural front as well as the War on Terror we find daily concessions pretending that uncritical multi-culti, be in the schools over T-shirts offending people in our own nation, or bowing to the demands of the Sons of Allah, we are buckling by the hour.
The damage to this nation in a short 16 months or so has been incalculable, but also the precedents set that are not easily undone are also ominus.
On the personal front, I’ve not been here for the same reason that for the most part I’ve not been even to my own blog enough to catch my breath with everything coming hard and heavy in the news. Utterly and emotionally exhausted, Chuck.
When things fall apart on both the personal and public levels at this rate, it’s often hard to know when and where to start writing anymore.
I feel at least part of your writing angst, albeit for probably different reasons than yours!
Wake Sorry for the slow reply. Just got back from a fun filled week in Seoul Korea. If you really want to go somewhere where an ominous shadow is looming, South Korea is the place.
Hope you are getting rested and recuperated the blogosphere needs you,.
Grade D bomb-making can’t be out lucky charm, and putting people in cuffs after something fizzles out is not indicative of “The System Worked.”
OUR, not out….
Hey Wake! Thanks for stopping by. You have been missed.
Agree with your sentiments completely.
Alas, I would not hold hope for some form of awakening from the dems:
“The harder we work, the luckier we get.” – Nancy Pelosi
Get that? The bomb in Times Square failed because the dems have been working really hard. Thank Heaven we can count on our watchdog media to take her to task for such an outlandish notion…
Well, Bad, it sounds like Pelosi can now quit politics and just play the Vegas tables all night.
What a wonderful notion. Get her a new job.
With that kind of charm on hand, and Lady Luck blowing on yer dice, hell, why even work for a living eh?
(Come to think of it, the latter attitude is the one taking hold. So I better shut up now.)
Yes, and the indeed the MSM–the Denture Breath Media–has our backs.
Good thing the Fourth Estate is watching out for us and not pining away for the next attack to be some Tea Partier. Sorry Contessa Brewer.
Soon it will be far more profitable not to work….
Chuck, I share your frustration …… but we must have eyeopeners such as your beautifully written, concise evaluation and recommendations if we have any hope of the public gaining an understanding of just how much is at stake and the dangers of allowing this administration and its fellow travelers to remain in control.
Just a wonderful post, Sir.
Don’t lose heart – nor you either, Wake and TB. Countries around the world have managed to throw off yokes of oppression worse than what we currently face, and we have the advantage of recognizing our problem before it gains a stranglehold on our freedoms. There are times when I wonder if my harping on the dangers of Obama and his crew become monotonous to any readers that I have, but finding a way to present material in a fresh and attention-grabbing format is part of the challenge of publishing on a continuing basis, eh?
Thanks Maine. We need real change in this area or a disaster will be assured. HM is currently in Seoul Korea once again enjoying their lovely hospitality. I am sure that there will be a blog in it all….somewhere.
Sage advice, indeed, Chuck. The funny thing is, aside from some possible empty planes and some R&D dollars for the scanners, all of this stuff is relatively inexpensive or has already been appropriated. Not that President Obama has a problem with spending extravagantly on his priorities, of course — it’s just that this obviously isn’t one of them.
Yes. You can buy a shipping container scanner for about 4 million bucks. Mere chump change in the grand scheme of things. There is no reason whatsoever that every port should not be covered.
Many things are appropriated, but oft times there is a huge gap between appropriation and execution….that is where we are today.
He will always be home free of any criticism as long as the Crooked Lefty media continue to praise him. He can’t do any harm. Perfectly written piece Chuck but hang in there. Things will get worse before they improve again. Leftist Socialist only worry about themselves and their party members, they don’t care about anybody else. Many Americans noticed already, before the elections. But there are many, yes many that will find themselves hanging dry in the breeze in the future. They will have to swallow their phony pride and admit they were wrong for voting this big “Joke” into office.
Thanks much for stopping by. I can only imagine what Cuban Americans think of our lax security and border policies. Especially after Obama declared that America is not defined by its borders. Hmm let’s see….borders are are legal limits of a nation’s sovereignty. They stake out the geographic reach of our laws and our constitutional rights and protections….yeah he’s right…..they just don’t matter.
Great stuff, Chuck. I sat here thinking of another prong I might add, and I failed to come up with one.
Appreciate the standing vote of confidence.
Hope your trip was fun and/or productive.
I’ll be back around the Sphere sometime next week. (I think.)
Been busy lately and it seems that just as with the political sphere, on the personal front things happen all at once.
As you can tell, now that we have politicians declaring borders are no indication of nationhood (one assumes he must think body style and engine design are no indicators of car manufacturer???) and SEIU highjinks taking the news by storm, add this to everything else going on and I get behind the 8-ball on posts lately.
Still pondering how to give a precautionary reminder about the Greece, and the irony of US bailing out the pension plans of the masters of Euro-socialist economic prowess.